Top 25 Weight Loss Tips To Eat Healthy And Lose Weight
Contributed by Liza Rowan August 2, 2017
To achieve anything in life, and to develop better lifestyle habits, we need to put some effort in, there are no quick fixes.
Here is a summary of some of my recommended tips to healthy weight loss:
1. There’s a healthier version of everything — discover better versions of foods and treats that you enjoy. By consuming more nutritious alternatives you are also eliminating ‘guilt’ associated with eating foods that you know are bad for you; thereby you minimize chances of overeating from making unhealthy choices.
2. Maintain a Health Journal for a few weeks — this keeps you accountable while also being quite an eye opener! Sometimes we need to step back and look at the bigger picture in order to understand where our downfalls are.
3. Be honest with yourself — ‘your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down’. It’s easy to snack in ‘innocent’ bites and nibbles here are there, but collectively, unfortunately, they do add up. Your Health Journal will highlight these.
4. Plan, plan, plan for meals at home, but especially for when you are Dining Out or Traveling — again use a Health Journal to assist.
5. Drink 2 litres (minimum) of water daily, more when exercising and if you live in a hot climate— we often misinterpret thirst signals for hunger. Always assume thirst first. See Nutrition Basics.
6. Daily enjoy a few quality coffees and green teas, if not sensitive to caffeine — caffeine raises metabolism and also contains antioxidants.
7. Eat spicy foods, reputed to increase metabolism; if nothing else, they make meals very flavoursome so you are satisfied with less on your plate.
8. Have strategies for dealing with Buffets and Dining out.
9. Refer to ‘lighter meals’ and ‘before you go bites’ when you know you’ll be indulging a little more than usual.
10. Dine at home more – this way you control the amount and quality of fats, sugar and salt, which are usually hidden in processed foods and in most restaurant dishes.
11. When attending a ‘pot luck’ or BBQ, bring along a healthy dish which you can enjoy in case other dishes do not live up to your ‘healthy’ standards.
12. Use smaller plates; put your fork down between bites; use chopsticks with your non-dominant hand. I jest, but you can have fun trying!
13. Brush (and floss) your teeth after meals and snacks.
14. Don’t eat three hours before bedtime.
15. Practice a form of ‘Intermittent Fasting’ e.g. 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, up to 16 hours twice a week.
16. Exercise most days — include resistance training a few times weekly to help tone muscle, and as you know, muscle burns more energy than fat!
17. Sleep well. Read my article on how to Sleep Better.
18. Hang vision boards and positive quotes for inspiration in your home and work place.
19. Focus more on the social side of celebrations, and not just the food and drink.
20. Focus less on the scales. Our body weight fluctuates for a number of reasons, e.g. due to water retention, around our monthly cycle, and if toning due to exercise — exercise in particular will add to the figure on the scales although your body is shrinking! So yes, be aware of the number, but understand that there are other factors in influencing what the scales states. Use a measuring tape or go by how your clothes feel to really understand how your body is changing.
21. Practice the 5S of Mindful Eating:
- Sit (no distractions)
- Slow (take 20 minutes minimum)
- Savour (chew and taste your food)
- Satisfy (be aware of where you are on the hunger scale)
- Stop (when feeling satisfied, push the plate away and wrap up the leftovers for another time)
22. Buy only healthy ingredients, so you eat only healthy food.
23. Always have healthy snacks on hand.
24. If you tend to nibble, commit to 3 or 4-hour breaks between meals. Set the alarm on your device and promise not to snack until after it goes off!
25. Take a packed lunch to work, bring your own snacks to the movies, enjoy a picnic — all far healthier (and cheaper) options.
Did you enjoy this post? Please comment, like and share!