When Affirmations Do Not Work
Contributed by Shamala Tan July 12, 2017
Have you had the experience of saying your affirmations daily, maybe even three times a day and the affirmations don’t seem to work?
Your life is still the same, your money issues are still there and you are still struggling? I get lots of people saying this to me: “I do all my affirmations but they don’t work. I don’t believe in saying affirmations anymore.”
I understand where they are coming from. And yes it can be a little frustrating. For many people, they probably have read books or watched videos where they are told that they just have to affirm and things will come their way.
It’s really not as simple as that.
What is the point of affirming to yourself that you are a millionaire when deep down you do not believe it is ever possible? Or you are affirming that you are a millionaire but you are at home twiddling your thumbs waiting for things to happen? Of course, the affirmations are not going to work!
Worse still to affirm that you are a millionaire but you go about seeing the world and doing things like a pauper.
Interestingly, people who operate from lack like to blame other people and the circumstances they are in. They do not want to look into themselves and ask themselves what it is that is causing them to be in the situation in the first place. And interestingly, they feel they have to teach other people a lesson especially those whom they perceive as blocking their way.
A person in lack is a victim. A victim blames, a victor takes personal responsibility. So affirmations must be said and experienced from a position of a victor, and not a victim. Even if you are not a victor yet, you have to start shifting your mindset, stop pointing fingers and ask yourself how you are helping yourself.
I heard this very funny analogy from David Neagle, miracle maker and money mentor. He said that we all know that air is abundant and available everywhere, but when we are choking and we cannot breathe no matter how many times we affirm: “Air comes to me easily and effortlessly”, we still can’t breathe! We have to find out what is causing us to choke in the first place.
Isn’t this the same with money? We know that the Universe is abundant but if we don’t know what is choking our money channel no matter how many times we affirm “money comes to me easily and effortlessly” it is not going to happen.
Abundance affirmations are not going to work if:
- you do not believe deep down that what you affirm is true
- you are not willing to change your mindset
- you are not willing to move out of your comfort zone
- you think you can solve your money problems with a victim’s mentality
- you have other bad habits (not directly related to money) that you are not willing to conquer, because “how you do anything is how you do everything” as John Assaraf says.
- Make a list of things you have been resisting to change even though you know you need to do for better results in your life.
- Make the decision to move through the resistance, to do it anyway. Go through your list and check each item off every day. This means you are aiming to conquer your resistance daily.
- Say your affirmations with a strong conviction and a feeling that you are willing to conquer your fears and get results.