She has been teaching English and Literature since 2007. She holds a Master’s degree in Arts in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and is the author of the children’s activity books, Every Child’s Guide to Write Away! (Volumes 1 & 2)
Claudine Fernandez is the founder of Artistic Strategies Academy, an educational organization that aims to groom young writers in Singapore through the arts.
She also coaches and conducts professional development workshops for teachers and parents to enhance the creative capacities and critical thinking skills of children.
She has been teaching English and Literature since 2007. She holds a Master’s degree in Arts in Education from the Harvard Graduate School of Education and is the author of the children’s activity books, Every Child’s Guide to Write Away! (Volumes 1 & 2).
Being an educator is a large part of my identity.
I believe that every child can be a good writer, with the right environment and guidance.
I have groomed students to participate in writing competitions. Recently, one of my nine-year-old students won the ‘Sheroes’ competition organized by the Singapore Committee for UN Women. She wrote about her admiration for her sister.
I’ve written two pieces for Executive Lifestyle, two pieces for Elephant Journal and one piece for The Asian Parent. I’ve also written two writing activity books for children – “Every Child’s Guide to Write Away!” (Volumes 1 and 2). I’ve been writing more frequently these past two years.
Aside from writing, I’m a patron of the arts and enjoy watching arts and cultural performances. I also love travelling, and meeting other people.
What I Do
- Develop the love of learning in children so that they have fun while learning how to be effective writers
- Enhance a child’s strengths via goal-setting, while filling their learning gaps
- Challenge children to move beyond their comfort zone and experiment with new modes of learning
- Work with parents of primary and secondary school children to nurture their child’s creativity and critical thinking skills
- Conduct Professional Development workshops on using the arts to develop critical and creative thinking for teachers in primary and secondary school
- I am interested and concerned about developing the child as a whole, not just academically
- I decided it was time to use my expertise and learning to focus on my passion of developing young minds in a ground-breaking way
- I am always finding new ways to teach, and am constantly inspired to create new material, and learning resources and experiences, for the children under my care
I work closely with the child and parents to develop the child’s creativity, social-emotional capacities, reflective, thinking and evaluative skills.
Products And Services:
1. Parent-Child Workshops
2. “Every Child’s Guide To Write Away!” (Volumes 1&2) – Activity Books For Young Writers
3. A Box Full of Inspiration Writing Toolkit
4. Holiday Writing Programmes
5. Weekly Classes For Children Aged 7-12
I have also developed the signature Artistic Writing™ Programme, a unique and enriching creative writing programme; the first of its kind in Singapore. The programme uses various art forms such as visual arts, clay, movement and drama to engage and enthuse students in an immersive, interactive and hands-on learning experience.
Details can be found on my website.
And by the way...
I truly believe that in work and in life, we should always “Do what you love and love what you do!”
I can help
- If you want to cultivate a passion for learning and writing in children
- If you want to know how to engage and develop a child’s writing skills and hone their talents via an immersive, hands-on learning experience
Contact me to learn more about grooming children into young writers!